When you walk into the grocery store.. Where do you head to first?
Did you know they, whoever they are, say you should shop the outside of the grocery store?
Shopping the outside of the store means hitting up produce, deli, cooler, and going into the aisle for things like quinoa, oatmeal, and PB! Here's a little sneak into my world when I go grocery shopping (and it's usually at Walmart, Aldi, or Target.. sometimes Wegmans. Trader Joes when I can get there!)
All of these products I have sourced myself and have checked the nutrition labels making sure they have good-for-me-ingredients and are actually things I want to be consuming. Most of them will just be what they are (like peanut butter is just peanuts (no added sugar, salt, anything). No added ingredients you can't pronounce.
They say you shouldn't eat what you can't pronounce.. Except quinoa, you should eat quinoa. ;)
And as a friendly heads ups I am currently only shopping for myself and am eating mostly plant based. Also this post is not sponsored by any brand.. these are just the ones I like (although not all!). I mostly buy all organic ingredients when possible.
PRODUCE (FRUITS & VEGGIES)
- Pineapple (TIP: Smell it! If it smells like a pineapple it is ripe! No, pulling a leaf from the top isn't a indicator if the pineapple is ripe or not)
- Apples (I love Gala ones!)
- Bananas (TIP: The more spots they have on them, the riper they are! You want ripe ones to freeze for smoothies and bake with. Stores normally put out realllyyyy green unripe bananas)
- Avocado (TIP: The darker the outside the riper it is. If you want to ripen an avocado faster.. put it in a paper bag with an apple! Check it every day)
- Mixed Lettuce
- Collard Greens
- Red Onions
- Stir Fry Mixes (Lately I've been loving the ones from Taylor Farms)
- Mixed Berry Fruit
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Ben & Jerry's Non-Dairy Ice Cream... on occasion :)
- Non-Dairy Yogurt (I've been lovin' So Delicious Dairy Free)
- Unsweetened Almond Milk (Original ^ So Delicious as well)
- Cashew Chocolate Milk (Testing this milk out.. Sounded interesting!)
- Juices, I have a few favorites here: 1915 Organic Juices (Pineapple one!), Bolthouse Farms Juices & Smoothies, Evolution Fresh (Defense Up juice!)
- Salad Dressing (Loving the new vinaigrette ones from Bolthouse Farms)
- Iced Coffee (Califia Farms is a fav!)
- Black Beans, Kidney Beans, Garbanzo Beans, Pinto Beans (Walmart has organic ones!)
- Peanut Butter (Crazy Richard's PB.. of course. If you wanna know why find out here)
- Oatmeal (Bob's Red Mill)
- Granola (Either Purely Elizabeth or Bear Naked)
- Brown Rice
- Coconut Water
- Snack Bars (Nature's Bakery.. raspberry or strawberry fig bars!)
- Jam/Jelly (Crofters Organic Just Fruit Spreads.. strawberry)
- Bread (eureka! bread- Seeds the day)
- Dark Chocolate Covered Raisins, occassionaly (Mmmm!)
ONLINE GROCERY SHOPPING (this is totally a thing now!)
- Squarebars (I love half a bar for pre-workout and half post-workout! Coconut is my all time favorite)
- Protein Powder (Fav: Vanilla Perfect Fit from Tone It Up. Other fav... Vanilla Orgain available on amazon!) I get Vanilla because I can add cacao powder to it to make it chocolate-y. Vanilla is such a good base to build flavor off of.